BRIGADIER GENERAL MAMAT OA CHAM COMMANDER GAMBIA NATIONAL ARMY
Brigadier General Mamat OA Cham is the Commander Gambia National Army (GNA). The Service Chief is responsible for the day-to-day Operation, Command & Control and Administration of the GNA . He was enlisted into the Gambia Armed Forces (GAF) on 16 July 1984 and held the following positions:
- So1 Training & Operation.
- 2IC 2 Infantry Battalion.
- ECOMOG Contingent Commander – Liberia.
- Adjutant 1 Infantry Battalion.
- Company Commander
He was discharged from the GAF on Aug 1994 shortly after AFPRC Military Junta took over power back in July 1994.
ARMY COMMANDER’S VISION FOR THE GAMBIA NATIONAL ARMY
A highly professional and motivated National Army that is adequately equip to execute its national security role, contributing meaningfully to national development and at the same time participate effectively in the maintenance of regional and global peace stability.
ACADEMIC CERTIFICATES OBTAINED
General Cham obtained GCE O Level and GCE A level in 1980 and 1983 respectively. He graduated from the Lack Land Air Force Base, San-Antonio, Texas, USA and obtained a diploma in Specialized English in 1985. He further obtained a BSc degree in Economics and Management from the University of the Gambia in 2007. In 2015 he was certified a Diploma in Basic IT at the Lasting Solution Institute.
MILITARY AND PROFESSIONAL COURSES
Brigadier General Cham underwent and successfully completed the following Military/Professional Courses:
- Staff Officer’s Course at Command & Staff College, Jaji – Nigeria in December 1993.
- Airborne Course at US Army Infantry School – Fort Benning Georgia, USA in April 1986.
- Civil Affairs & Instructor Course at JFK Special Warfare Centre, Fort Bragg, North Carolina, USA in June 1985
- Infantry Officers Basic Course at Army Infantry School – Fort Benning Georgia, USA in December 1985.
- Company Commander Course at the School of Infantry and Tactics – Quietta – Pakistan in December 1991.
The General officer also participated in the following UN & Regional missions:
- ECOMOG Intervention in Liberia – April 1991August 1993.
- United Nations Military Observer (UNMIL) in Liberia – Jan 2004 – Jan 2005.
- United Nations Military Observer in Sierra Leone Jan 2000 – Jan 2001.
ECOMOG – Monrovia, Liberia – Aug 1993
UNAMSIL Freetown-Sierra Leone – Jan 2000 – December 2000
UNMIL Monrovia-Liberia – May 2005
- CEO/MD Trustee Security Services – April 2014 – February 2017.
- Director Training/Operation Prestige Security Services from Feb 2009 – 12 October 2013.
- Deputy Traffic Manager, (GPA) – Jan 2004 – 2006.
- Assistant Security Manager (GPA) – July 1999 – Jan 2004.
- Military Carrier – GNA July 1984 – July 1994.
- Cooperative Society Manager (GCU) Dec 1994 – Dec 1980.
The General Officers is married with children and speaks English and French. His hobbies are Reading, sports, farming, traveling and networking with family and friends.